For questions or to schedule an appointment, please call 239-745-3700 or email us at email@example.com
Procurement Technical Assistance Center (PTAC)
Click on the links below to go to other areas of this page:
US PTAC Centers
An Overview of Federal Government Contracting | PTAC Client Success
Federal Jobs | Federal Grants | SW FL Grants
Contracting Offices in Florida | Business Requirements
Other Information | Slide Show Presentations on Government Contracting
Video Tutorials | SBA News | FGCU Press Release
The Procurement Technical Assistance Program (PTAP) was authorized by Congress in 1985 in an effort to expand the number of businesses capable of participating in the Government Marketplace. Administered by the Department of Defense / Defense Logistics Agency (DLA), the program provides matching funds through cooperative agreements with state and local governments and non-profit organizations for the establishment of Procurement Technical Assistance Centers (PTACs) to provide procurement assistance.
If you are interested in doing Business with the Government (Federal, State, County, City), please contact PTAC Fort Myers, FL for guidance and assistance.
See our Contact Information below.
For a list of useful links to various government contracting agencies, go to the Contracting Links page.
An Overview of Federal Government Contracting
- Federal Government Contracting DOD
- Steps to Starting and Finding Federal Government Contracting Opportunities
- Selling Services - sample forms
Worksheet: Overhead and Proposal (PDF)
Note: This worksheet is provided as a PDF. If you desire a working copy of the Excel spreadsheet, email PTAC for Myers, FL at firstname.lastname@example.org and request the working copy Excel worksheet for overhead.
- Selling Material and Labor - sample form
Worksheet: Costs and Proposal (PDF)
- Selling a Product - sample forms
Worksheet: Pricing and Proposal (PDF)
- Frequently Asked Questions (PDF)
- DOD Small Business Points of Contact
- Marketing to the Federal Government - Nationwide: Doing Business with the Department of Defense (web)
- A Twelve Step Program for Success (PDF)
- The Federal Government Past Performance Information Retrieval System (PPIRS)
PTAC Client Success
PTAC Fort Myers, FL clients are winning contracts with the federal, state, county, and city governments!
Successful PTAC Client Awards in Southwest Florida (PDF) (Updated October 2013)
REGISTER, REGISTER, REGISTER to do business with the Federal, State, County and City Governments!
- For Federal registration, register at: Central Contractor Registration. (web) Specific Information: DOD-DLA Internet Bulletin Board System (DIBBS) (web)
- For SAM Program Registration, this file can be used to gather the information needed: SAM Sample Entity Reocod (Excel format - 6 tabs)
- For Florida State Agency registration, register at: MyFlorida.com. (web) Specific Information: Commodity Codes (web)
- For each Florida County and City, register with each of the individual locations you desire to work with.
- Up-date your registration annually.
If a person decides to go after a federal government job opportunity, the information provided here is only a guide. The steps are (each step will open in a new window):
- Read the Fed Guide
- Read the GS-Series Guide
- Find a job opportunity at www.usajobs.gov
- Prepare the OF-612 blank form (i.e., page 3 and 4, filled in)
- Prepare the OF-612 Resume (Previous Job Duties and Accomplishments)
- Prepare the Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs)
- Submit the application package electronically at www.usajobs.gov or designated agency web site.
- Grant opportunities can be found at www.grants.gov
- Sample Grant Opportunity
- Sample Grant Solicitation
- Grant Proposal Outline
- Sample Grant Proposal
- To increase community outreach, Lee County is extending the use of eCivis Grants Locator, at no cost, to all eligible 501c Community Based Organizations in the County.
Go to the eCivis Grants Locator website
- The Southwest Florida Community Foundation (located in Fort Myers) has access to the Foundation Center's database. The information provided at the link below explains the available resources:
Go to the Grant Seeker Resources website
Federal Contracting Offices in Florida
- PTAC Florida Contracting Offices (Military and Civilian 50 Offices) (PDF)
State Contracting Offices
County/City Contracting Offices
- PTAC Florida Brochure (PDF)
- Collier County/City Purchasing Offices (PDF)
- Lee County/City Purchasing Offices (PDF)
- Charlotte County/City Purchasing Offices (PDF)
- Glades County/City Purchasing Offices (PDF)
- Hendry County/City Purchasing Offices (PDF)
- Miami FL Area Purchasing Offices (PDF)
- Tampa FL Area Purchasing Offices (PDF)
- Orlando FL Area Purchasing Offices (PDF)
- Jacksonville FL Area Purchasing Offices (PDF)
- Pensacola FL Area Purchasing Offices (PDF)
- Steps to Starting a Business in FL - Click on "Publications" in the Community Links (web)
- Lee County FL Business Start-up Guide (2011) (web)
- Collier County FL Business Start-up (PDF)
- Business Plan Outline (PDF)
- Business Organizations Advantages and Disadvantages (slide presentation)
- SBDC Quarterly News Letter (PDF)
- ISO Certification: Specific federal solicitations, and many overseas companies, require ISO certification as part of the award and contract performance requirements. ISO certifications are specific; There are over 100 different standards for ISO.
To learn more, go to the ISO website
- A Web Page With Links to Several Specialized Business Calculators
- Travel and Expenses on Government Contracts
Sample Spreadsheet in Excel format (xls)
Federal Per Diem Rates (web)
- PTAC Assistance with Federal Contracts and Federal Grants (PDF)
- Federal Procurement: The new System for Award Management (SAM) will be implemented beginning in the first half of 2012. The following documents provide an explanation of the System.
SAM Overview (PDF)
SAM Interface Overview (PDF)
- WOSB NAICS Codes (PDF)
The new SBA Program, Women Owned Small Business (WOSB) NAICS codes are shown in this document. The listed NAICS codes are the only codes identified for WOSB set-a-sides at the federal contracting level.
- Request for Counseling Form (PDF)
- SBDC On-Line Training (web)
- Economic Downturn Survival Guide (web)
- Federal Opportunities (web)
- The CAN-SPAM Act: A Compliance Guide for Business (PDF)
- Federal Government Subcontracting Goals - Example (PDF)
- CCR-Pass Word - Update every 60 Days (PDF)
- SBDC-PTAC-Social Media (web)
- SBDC-PTAC-Facebook Marketplace (web)
- SBDC-PTAC-Facebook FAQ page (web)
- Free Video Software Tutorial-Word, Excel, Power Point, other software applications (web)
- PTAC-FGCU-BIO-Daniel Telep, Jr (web)
Slide Show Presentations on Government Contracting
The following links are full-featured presentations created in PowerPoint. If you are unable to open and view these presentations, you may need the free Viewer. To get your free copy, Click Here.
When the Presentations open, a simple click of your mouse will move the presentation from slide to slide. The Arrow keys on your keyboard will do the same thing. Enjoy!
- Overview of Government Contracting
- Introduction to Government Contracting
- Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR)
- VA Verification Counselor Training
- Reading Solicitations
- Writing Successful Proposals
- Pricing Your Product or Service
- SBIR-STTR Research and Development Programs
- HUBZone Primer: a small business guide outlining program eligibility and certification requirements
- SBIR-STTR Florida Phase Zero
Florida Phase Zero Application package
- SBIR-STTR Application
- Incubator Application Approval by Local SBDC
- Credit Card Approval - Authorization by Applicant
- Federal Grant Opportunities
- Business Organizations Advantages and Disadvantages
- Selling to the Federal Government
- Veteran Owned Business
- We Remember What?
- Presentations from SBIR / STTR Workshop held at FGCU on March 18-19, 2009:
These tutorials cover topics of general interest, on the website of the Khan Academy.
SBA Warns of Fraudulent Attempts to Obtain Bank Account Information from Small Businesses
Please help the SBA get the word out to small business owners about this scam by posting it to your websites and sharing the information.
WASHINGTON - The U.S. Small Business Administration issued a scam alert today to small businesses, warning them not to respond to letters falsely claiming to have been sent by the SBA asking for bank account information in order to qualify them for federal tax rebates. The fraudulent letters were sent out with what appears to be an SBA letterhead to small businesses across the country, advising recipients that they may be eligible for a tax rebate under the Economic Stimulus Act, and that SBA is assessing their eligibility for such a rebate. The letter asks the small business to provide the name of its bank and account number.
FGCU Press Release
FGCU Small Business Development Center Helps Naples Business Obtain Contract with a Federal Agency
FORT MYERS, FL - The Small Business Development Center at Florida Gulf Coast University recently assisted Ale Group, Inc., a Service Disabled Veteran Owned Business (SDVOB), win a $600,000 contract to provide information technology to a federal agency.
The SBDC Procurement Technical Assistance Center (SBDC-PTAC) program provided the home-based business in Naples with counseling, training and guidance on how to register, market, and win government contracts for supplies and services. Ale Group is registered with the state of Florida and Collier County.
"SBDC-PTAC program has the ability to answer all business questions with in-depth guidance, resources, experience and professional counseling. It has performed a great service for Ale Group, Inc.," said president of the company, John R. Ale.
SBDC-PTAC has assisted 25 companies in the last five years with awards in excess of $125,000,000. PTAC has approximately 54 active clients in Southwest Florida.
For additional guidance on doing business with the federal, state, county or city government, contact Daniel Telep Jr., PTAC Procurement Specialist at email@example.com or (239) 745-3708.
Dan Telep, Jr.
PTAC Procurement Specialist
FGCU Small Business Development Center
Procurement Technical Assistance Center (PTAC)
10501 FGCU Blvd, S.
Ft. Myers, FL 33965
Office: Lutgert Hall, Room 2313
Phone: (239) 745-3708
See Map and Driving Directions